Thursday, November 20, 2014

Scattered Seashells



  My 'Unka' Jeff and Aunt Susie took me to Longbeach Washington when I was 3 or 4 years old.
I remember trudging thru the sand with a blue plastic pail that had a flat, white, plastic handle.  I followed behind Unka Jeff, stepping into his big, deep footprints that were pressed into the sand.  I bent down and picked up the most beautiful seashells, coral and polished sea glass. My little bucket quickly filled.  
  Anytime since then, I have always compared the beautiful variety of shells I picked up in my childhood to the actual ones I find as an adult and they just don't measure up.  I mentioned this to Susie and she looked at me with most bewildered look!!! She then says " You did realize that Unka Jeff was dropping the seashells in front of you to find, right?!?!"   42 years had gone by and I am crushed!!!  Sea shells bought from the gift shop!  I had NO idea!!!  
   Today my Unka Jeff had a pretty major health scare. I am pretty worried. A clean bill of health and a speedy recovery is what I'm praying for.  
  Recently, Unka Jeff and Aunt Susie have invited my husband Jim and I to go to Mexico to celebrate our 20 year wedding anniversary.  I am so excited to go!!  I can't wait to walk on the beach and collect seashells. And I'm sure Unka Jeff will be in front of me, dropping the shells from his pockets, just as he did 42 years ago!!  And I'm sure I will gather them up with just the same amount of joy and excitement. 
  So hurry up and get all better Unka Jeff. We have scattered seashells to collect. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I assure you my dear niece that my pockets will be filled with shells as the four of us walk the beach on the Sea of Cortez. I promise you and that nothing will keep us from our destination.
We thank you for your story in fact you Aunt Susie had tears in her eyes and just maybe I did too.

Unka Jeff and Aunt Susie

Unknown said...

Prescious memories!


Karen Ryan

Unknown said...

Prescious memories!


Karen Ryan

Unknown said...

Prescious memories!


Karen Ryan